10 August 2012

Pregnancy: Weeks 21-24

[Side Note: I decided to document my pregnancy privately but then I got to writing about it last week here and found I really like writing about what it is like. I want to share my experience. So there is a little catching up to do. This post is about my 10th-20th weeks of pregnancy, so roughly July 4th through July 25th-ish]

Weeks Along: 24

Weight:  180 lbs. (by the end of week 24 I have gained 37 lbs.)


Weeks to Go: 16 weeks


What I feel:  Kicks! So many little kicks! He is getting big, too big not to notice any more. The husband can even feel them now.

Not quite as tired as I have been. I got a little second wave of energy the last few weeks which has really allowed me to exercise a bit more. I am starting to really miss running. Just getting outside after work every day is a luxury I enjoy, but it is made even better by running. I haven't taken this long of a break from running for over 5 years. I guess it is time to slow it down a little.

I am also starting to understand the benefits of staying active throughout your life. I can't imagine carrying this much weight all the time. As a wrote in an e-mail the other day:

"I have (un-shamefully mind you) gained almost 40 lbs.. I used to hover around 145 lb when not in "racing" shape. Although the weight is good, my doctor is always proud to see my weight go up, it is hard. My back hurts. My legs hurt. My breathing is different. I can't go as fast up and down the stairs any more. My feet hurt. I have swollen feet too. I am sweating all the time. Clothes don't fit. The list goes on!
Although all this weigh is necessary right now (and proving to be very very healthy for our growing baby!), I don't ever want to see this weight outside pregnancy. Never. I know life gets in the way and it is tough to work out, it is not going to be an excuse for me. I have really learned the value of being physically fit. I can't imagine trying to chase a toddler around with all this weight all the time."
I am really looking forward to starting good, hard, sweaty exercise after the baby. I am sure it will be hard to find time, but even harder still to be out of shape and take care of another human being
I am still quite emotional. Some times even tears run out and I am not sure why. I tend to get pretty upset when I am tired too. I am not good after 10 pm or much before 7 am.  
My husband is currently watching every James Bond movie (in order) as a bucket list item for this summer. I have successfully slept through about half of them. I do like James Bond, but I get so tired.

Towards the end of this week I started to want to sleep on this ratty old couch we have in our basement. The couch survived college with my husband, our first apartment, and now our basement. It is not my favorite looking couch but beggers can't be choosers some times. I fit almost perfectly on it. I can snuggle up to a side of the couch and then arrange my pillows so I can sleep sitting up if I need to. Sleeping sitting up is not hard when you are as tired as me. Weird fact about pregnancy: it is better to sleep on your left side than your right. Yup, provides better circulation to your baby!

What I look like: Big. Round. Swollen. Those are probably the best adjectives to describe myself. I have really rounded out the last week or so. I am full on you-better-be-able-to-tell-I-am-pregnant-not-just-fat now.

Clothing was becoming a real issue the last few weeks. Here is what I have to wear as of week 24:
  • A few men's size "A" style tank tops
  • 3 dresses
  • 2 skirts
  • 1 pair of capris
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 1 pair of jean shorts
  • 3 or 4 other tops that are still long/big enough
  • 2 "tent" like button up shirts for work
And that is it. If you know me this is really a crowing achievement. I used to have dozens of similar things (like jeans) pre-pregnancy. I have learned to live on a lot less clothing-wise. I am pretty proud of myself. I really enjoy my closet now. It doesn't look as scary and stuffed full of things. I think this trend might continue post-pregnancy.

I got a little emotional about the state of my body the other day. I must remember what a miracle it is pulling off and how proud I am. My body should reflect those feelings in jeans and a t-shirt.


Oh Things I didn't know about pregnancy until now: Having to use the bathroom more than once per hour. Seriously. I got a stern warning from the doctor about fluid consumption during hot summer months so I have been trying to make sure I get enough each day. Our baby does not mind, however, stepping in my bladder all the time. Thank you baby.

Kicks feel like bubbles. Kind of weird at first.

Some people have a weird obsession with touching pregnant women's bellies. Strangers should be advise, I like my bubble. Don't touch.

Our baby likes yogurt. I try to eat at least one yogurt helping a day and afterwards the little guy gets all excited. I think it is a fun game to play now.


Timeline happenings: Kicking started around week 22/23. I felt a new movement and thought maybe it was my stomach, aching for food. Nope, that kiddos is a kick! He punches too some times. When I lay down at night to sleep his activity level seems to pick up. It might be because I am relaxed, more apt to notice the movements.

We have decided to decorate the nursery with dinosaur things. My husband spotted some dinosaur sheets and mobile at the store (on clearance none the less! Score!) so that is what we went with. Matching light, wall stickers and picture soon followed. I am really partial to the dinosaur piggy bank (look, he is financially savvy already!).

Baby gifts from friends and family have come in steadily. We are so thankful for any gift, big or small. We really appreciate the thoughtfulness of handmade gifts. Many gifts include a story, like "I remember I used these toys all the time with my babies" or "this product was a lifesaver". I am glad to get recommendations, any advice is welcomed!

We are not going to have a baby shower due to our distance from family and friends. Neither Mike nor I have much time to take off to travel before the baby arrives. We are saving our precious days off until we need them. I am a little sad about this but I know saving the money and time will be good for everyone.


Things for Baby: Lots of dinosaur themed things. There is an entire line of clothing from target with dinosaurs on them. How cute! We now own most of those items.

Still need a few things, but big ticket items are taken care of. Now which bath soap do I want?


And the Husband says: Doctor's appointments have let us get more glimpses of our precious baby, hear his heart beat and hear the doctor talk about how we will have a tax credit this year (Thanks Doc for thinking of that!). My husband is glad to have been able to go with me to these visits.

"You still look like a house!"
"Do you want me to rub your feet again?" YES YES YES!




No comments:

Post a Comment