09 March 2012

Friday Bake Day: Cauliflower Mixer

For lack of a better term, mixer was all I could come up with for this recipe. Not a very appealing title for those who don't like veggies but it works.

This recipe has long been stored away in my recipe box. I honestly forgot that I had this one. I was looking to use up ingredients in my cupboard and refrigerator, and this one did the trick. 

I believe the original recipe came from a Real Simple Magazine issue last year. Their recipes some times call for a small amount of something I don't readily have, so I improvise with them. I have improvised wrong (think really onion-y broccoli soup...bad idea) but this time it worked out perfectly.  Originally this recipe was for a Cauliflower stew, with some chickpeas and tomatoes. Since I didn't have those handy I substituted with beans a little extra water. 

So without following the recipe exactly, using what I had lying around and not knowing what to call it, you have Cauliflower Mixer.

Cauliflower Mixer

3 tablespoons Olive Oil
dash of onion power or a small amount of chopped onion (I had onion powder around and use about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon each of Salt & Pepper
1 can Black Beans (15 oz.), drained
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 head each of Cauliflower & Brocoli, cored and cut into florets
1 5 oz. package of Baby Spinach (I estimated on this, I only had a little left so I used what I had)
1/2 cup water
Package of grains of your choice (think couscous, quinoa, rice, etc.)

Heat oil, onion, ginger, salt & pepper. Add Cauliflower, Brocoli, Beans and Raisins. Add water (plus more if necessary to make mixture boil and not burn). Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. 
Reduce heat to simmer. Let mixture thicken and vegetables cook for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook rice (or other grain choice) per package directions.
Fold in spinach to cauliflower mixture for 1-2 minutes (until just wilted).
Serve cauliflower mixture with grains.



This combination could be changed out with any seasonal vegetable for a cheap, easy meal. I like that I could make this with ingredients I have on hand without having to slave for hours.

While trying to keep our food budget down, I opt for 1-2 meatless meals a week. I feel the compromise of a few meatless meals is a simple way to not necessary eat less food, just cheaper options. I am not a vegetarian, but after a meal like this I am satisfied and don't feel overly stuffed. 
If you have a picky eater, try to add some cheese on top or nix the spinach. Although spinach is high is so many nutrient categories, including iron, it can be a tough sell with kids & adults.

Happy eating!
 

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks amazing!! Alex and I are definitely going to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete